Popular in the ’70s, meringues have recently made a comeback. Colour them an assortment of candy hues and pop them in a big glass jar for maximum visual effect. They will keep in an airtight container for two weeks.
Makes about 16.
• 2 egg whites
• 50g sugar
• A pinch of salt
• 1 tsp cornflour
• ½ tsp vinegar
• ½ tsp vanilla essence
• 1 to 2 drops of food colouring
1. Preheat the oven to 190 deg C.
2. Place egg whites and salt into a bowl, and blend until stiff peaks form.
3. Combine sugar, vinegar, vanilla essence, food colouring and cornflour in a separate bowl, and mix well. Add this mixture into the egg whites carefully.
4. Place the mixture in a piping bag and pipe out small portions onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Turn the oven down to 130 deg C and bake for 1½ hours. Once done, open the oven door a little and leave the meringues in the oven to cool.
Article and Photo: 8 Days
The Singapore gula melaka pound cake