Special thanks to Prego’s Chef de Cuisine Antonio Facchinetti for the recipes.
Nobody does romance better than the Italians! Here’s how to whip up a delizioso dinner that’ll tantalise your Valentine’s taste buds. Buon appetito!
Appetiser: Heirloom Tomato Salad with Buffalo Mozzarella and Basil
• 400g heirloom tomatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size
• 200g buffalo mozzarella, cut into wedges
• 5ml balsamic vinegar
• 5g Maldon salt
• 2g black pepper
• 30ml extra-virgin olive oil
• 15 basil leaves
1. Whisk vinegar, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl.
2. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly until dressing is emulsified.
3. Plate tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.
4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
Main course: Grilled Lobster with Champagne-Butter Sauce and Tagliolini Truffle Pasta
• 1 lobster, 500-700g
• 50g salted butter
• 20ml lemon juice
• 40ml champagne
• 160g Tagliolini truffle pasta
1. Place the lobster shell-side down.
2. Use a sharp knife to split it open. Start at the body and end at the tail. Remove intestinal vein.
3. Melt butter in a saucepan, then add lemon juice and champagne to create a sauce.
4. Place lobster shell-side down on a grill over medium heat.
5. Brush champagne-butter sauce over it and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Turn lobster over, then cook for another 8 minutes. Turn again, brush again with the sauce and continue to cook until meat turns opaque.
7. Brush again with the sauce just before serving.
1. Drop the truffle pasta into boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Remove and drain.
3. Toss pasta with the remaining butter sauce.
4. Arrange pasta in a small heap on a plate, next to the lobster.
Dessert: Cioccolato Passion
• 150g passionfruit purée (approximately 8 small passionfruit)
• 150g milk
• 3 egg yolks
• 50g sugar
• 10g flour
1. Bring passionfruit purée and milk to a boil.
2. Combine egg yolks, sugar and flour in a bowl.
3. Mix the egg, sugar and flour mixture into the passionfruit mixture, and cook at 84 deg C until it thickens.
4. Strain through a fine sieve, set aside and let it cool.
Guanaja Chocolate Ganache
• 2 gelatin sheets
• 200g basic pastry cream*
• 300g Guanaja 70 per cent chocolate couverture*, chopped
• 260g heavy whipped cream
1. Soak gelatin in icy cold water and drain.
2. Heat up the pastry cream and add in the gelatin while stirring to create a custard.
3. Pour hot custard into chopped chocolate, and mix until you achieve a shiny and smooth mixture.
4. Process it with a hand blender to ensure that the texture is uniformly smooth.
5. Ensure that the mixture is kept at between 35 and 40 deg C as you gently fold in the whipped cream.
6. Pour it into mini-pastry cups, then freeze to create a ganache.
• Frozen waffle (your choice), prepared per package directions
• Gelato/ice cream (your choice)
*Available at Sun Lik Trading, www. sunliktrading.com
**Available at NTUC or Cold Storage