Packed with ingredients like brewer’s yeast and flaxseed, these yummy muffins will delight breastfeeding mums, as well as baby — other family members can also reap the nutritional benefits of these power-packed ingredients. Recipe courtesy of Singapore Lactation Bakes.
Sinfully chocolate muffins for nursing mums
Makes a dozen muffins
½ cup butter
115g semi-sweet chocolate (chocolate chips or bar chocolate are both fine)
¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 large eggs
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk (or mix ½ cup milk with 1½ tsps white vinegar, and let stand for 5 min)
¼ cup brewer’s yeast (replace with fenugreek for Muslims)
¼ cup flaxseed
** Brewer’s yeast and flaxseed are available at the organic section of most supermarkets.
1. Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
2. Melt butter and chocolate together using the double boil method. Let the mixture cool.
3. Whisk together sifted cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brewer yeast and flaxseed. Set aside.
4. Whisk together eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Combine this with the cooled chocolate.
5. Mix half of the dry mixture to egg mixture, then pour in all of the buttermilk. Mix the remaining dry mixture in, and divide the batter to fill 12 cupcake liners.
6. Bake for 18 minutes.
For the glaze:
85g unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tsps light corn syrup
- Melt the butter, chips, and corn syrup using double boil method until smooth and glossy.
- Once the muffin has cooled, dip the top of the muffin into the glaze and let it set for 15 minutes, or until the glaze feels firm. Enjoy!