Offering words of encouragement is a simple and effective way to show your love for your children. Chosen carefully and used appropriately, such supportive phrases will have a positive and lasting effect on junior long after you’ve uttered them.
Besides saying “I love you” or “I’m proud of you”, well-chosen expressions have the power to motivate your mini-me to behave better, work hard, persevere and pick himself up after a setback! So, add these useful statements to those heart-to-hearts with your kiddo…
To boost confidence
1. I know you did your best.
2. I believe you.
3. I believe in you!
4. You make me happy.
5. It’s great to see your (friends/brothers and sisters) having so much fun around you!
6. Every mistake has a lesson to offer.
7. You don’t have to be perfect to be great.
8. Things will get better in time, so don’t dwell on the past.
9. Don’t waste time worrying about things you can’t control.
10. Nobody except you, has the power to change your life.
11. Stop hating yourself for everything you aren’t and start loving yourself for everything you already are.
12. Don’t look back because you are not heading that way.
13. Great job! Thank you for giving it your best!
14. Look what you have accomplished! Never take that for granted.
15. You figured it out ― that’s awesome!
16. You look great!
17. You have power over your body.
To encourage independence
18. I know you can handle it.
19. You have to stand up for yourself, because no one else will.
20. You can say no (to your friends or things that make you feel uncomfortable).
21. You can say yes (to something you feel you’re deserving of).
22. You are as capable as (sibling/cousin) OR You are capable like your (father/mother/sibling).
23. Don’t be afraid to be you.
24. Trust your instincts/gut feelings.
25. That was a really good choice.
26. I trust you!
27. Your opinions matter to me.
28. I have faith in you.
29. You can ask for help when you need it.
To foster discipline and behaviour
30. Someone else’s poor behaviour is not an excuse for your own.
31. Sometimes, I will say no because I have your interests at heart.
32. You don’t have to like what someone is saying in order to treat them with respect.
33. Don’t ruin a good today by thinking about a bad yesterday.
34. A little progress each day adds up to big results.
35. Take one step at a time, you’ll get closer day by day.
36. You have the power to make someone happy. So do it!
37. Try to get things done now, because “later” can become a “never”.
38. Life is tough but so are you.
39. You can achieve what you set your mind to.
To show your love
40. I enjoy your company.
41. I am grateful I’m your mum/dad.
42. I feel blessed to have you in my life.
43. You were right.
44. I accept who you are.
45. Thank you for contributing to the family.
46 You make me smile.
47. You are important to me.
48. You are valuable to me.
49. You will always be my son/daughter.
50. I will never stop loving you.
In case you missed these stories…